Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Tashina Azure (Mrs. Davenport - IOWA)





Hello my name is Tashina Azure-Billy. I am a tribal member from the great nations of Turtle Mountain Chippewa and Meskwaki from Iowa. I am 24 years old and I recently graduated with my B.A. in American Indian Studies from Haskell Indian Nations University. I am married to my wonderful husband Robert and we have a beautiful son Ittibi Imachokmah who is 11 months old. We have been together for 3 years and just married November 30, 2006. My life so far has taught me many things and I’m excited to describe a little bit about that.

When I first got to college, I was scared but happy because it was my first time away from home. Growing up wasn’t always easy, my family has a history of alcohol abuse, violence, and homelessness. I can honestly say that when I got there I was very proud that I had even been accepted, I figured no University would let me in with the grades I had from high school. My mom who has always been my backbone has told me to strive and do my best so I figured that since Haskell was welling to give me a chance I would go the extra mile for them.

That extra mile started in the fall with cheer-leading, and Red Planet Hip Hop Club where I served as the Campus Activities Association Representative. In spring 2002, I was a Student Senate Representative, served as the co/chair of the New Student Orientation committee, served on the Curtis Hall committee, served as a Student Court Justice, was nominated for Homecoming Queen for SPIRIT club, ran for Miss Haskell and graduated with my associates of natural science in May 2003.

My senior year at Haskell, my husband and I were blessed with the pregnancy of our son. During my pregnancy I carried 25 credit hours, served as Campus Activities Association president, and did my internship with the Pelathe Community Resource Center. While president of the Campus Activities Association I planned events for the entire student body, put together a donation drive for the Houma Tribe of Louisiana hurricane Katrina victims, and campus activities also raised funds for the widowed wife of an alumni student that currently passed on in a horrible automobile accident.

My internship at the Pelathe center has me taught me how important community relations are in all societies. This internship has given me many opportunities to get more involved with the youth through the youth photography project that is still in the developing stages, but also has given me experience in the grant writing process which I know will help me in the future. Working with young native youth that have a similar background as mine is why I chose to represent higher education in Indian country. Statistics of American Indians living on reservations show that 51% of the reservation population lives below the poverty line. If these children are living below the poverty line, then it is important to understand that these children are 20 times more likely to do drugs and drink alcohol which can lead up to prison or suicide. This is why it is important for them to go to college and bring back to their tribal community to help the betterment of Indigenous people in the United States.

Right now I am currently working on a project for the Native youth of the Quad Cities. The project is a Non-profit organization which will be based on cultural awareness for Native youth by implementing programs like native dance, tribal language classes, theater, games, and tutors to help with homework. This project is still in the beginning phase but I am excited to see the overall outcome.

One of my future plans amongst others is to go on to law school. Community and family are my main focus points at the moment; I know with law school I can help indigenous communities all over the United States. Law school will be tough but I know I can achieve this goal and will do my best in the process. Further more I want every one to know that becoming Mrs. Iowa would mean a great deal to me. I will try my best to represent for the whole state of Iowa if given the opportunity. Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,
Tashina Azure-Billy

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello! I just wanted to wish you the best of luck. I can't beleive there are only three of us. It's going to be a lot of fun Are you getting nervous? I'm starting to. I look forward to meeting you and Bridie.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on becoming Mrs. Davenport! We commend you for your commitment to your tribe, and your focus on education.

If possible, please share the following Web site with high school students you meet on your travels through Indian Country! Our law firm sponsors a contest that inspires Young Native American high school students to write essays for college scholarships and a trip to Washington, D.C.

http://indian.hklaw.com

By the way, I have great regard for Davenport, Iowa. It was the first place my sister's family moved to from Chicago when her husband finished his medical residency, and their daughter Megan was born there!

Good luck with Law School!

All the best,
Angela Ruth