Monday, May 14, 2007

Bridie Sellers (Mrs. Urbandale - IOWA)



Hello! My name is Bridie Sellers, and I am very excited to be taking part in my first pageant, representing the City of Urbandale. I have spent most of my life in the Des Moines area, and am lucky to be surrounded by many wonderful friends and family members here.

I have been married to my husband Chad for almost 4 years, and we are the proud parents of Gavin, who is nearing 3 years old. I can’t believe how fast the time goes! Chad and I were high school sweethearts, and reconnected after college. He is a wonderful husband and father, and has been so supportive. Gavin is our miracle baby; he was born 3 months premature, but came out fighting. He spent 82 days in the hospital, endured blood transfusions, infection, and surgery. He has now “caught up” in all areas of development, and people give us looks of shock when we tell them how little he was at birth (less than 2 ½ pounds!). Life with a toddler is so fun, frustrating and funny – he’s always coming up with new things to do or say.

I graduated from Drake University with a Bachelor’s degree in Accounting in 2003. While working full time as an accountant, and raising a newborn, I completed my MBA in 2006. I now work as a financial analyst with Wells Fargo Financial. It’s a challenging job, but I am lucky to work for people that understand the importance of work/life balance. My first career aspiration was to dance with a professional ballet company, and although I have gone another route, I am very excited to begin teaching classes at a local studio this fall.

It’s probably not surprising that I have chosen the March of Dimes as my platform. I recently participated in WalkAmerica. It was very moving to see how many people turned out for the walk, and heartbreaking seeing all the shirts with angels on them representing babies that have been lost. I would be honored to be able to bring more awareness to this growing problem.

I’m looking forward to the pageant experience and to meeting all the other ladies!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous family - My son's name is Gavin as well! He, too, was born early but we call him our miracle baby because of his size -- He was 8.8 at 34 weeks and then spent his time in the NICU with the little bity ones :)

Congrats on him being on target and good luck in the pageant!

Sarah, Mrs. Kenosha County WI

Anonymous said...

Hey girl! It looks like we are practically neighbors. I am starting to get really nervous. I just wanted to drop by and wish you the best of luck. What part of Urbandale do live in? I live in Green Meadows West in Johnston.

Anonymous said...

I would love to get together for a play date. My son is 10, and my daughter just turned 4 today. We would love to make new friends. I'm sure your costume is great. I had a hard time with that too. I can't decide if I'm going to wear a two piece or a one piece swimsuit. Working out hasn't been as frequent as I had planned. My cocktail dress is actually my wedding dress. We got married in Las Vegas, and it just so happened I wore a white and silver cocktail dress. Where are you going to teach ballet? I plan on putting Sidda in dance next fall. Let me know about the play date. We would love to have your family to our home as well. Good luck with everything. Let me know if I can help you with anything.

swsuperstar said...

Hey -

If you are interested in competing again - let me know, I would love to help you out for next year!!

I had a great time meeting you and Taryn and am very proud of you!

Sarah White
whites11@hotmail.com
1st RU Mrs. Wisconsin :)