Friday, May 18, 2007

Jennifer Schluga (Mrs. Waukesha County - WISCONSIN)





Hello Everyone, my name is Jennifer Schluga and I am proud to be named Mrs. Waukesha County Wisconsin. I run an animal rescue called Wisconsin Critter Rescue. We have had our doors open for 4 years. We deal mainly with exotics, but do take in the occasional dog & cat as well. We have helped rehabilitate and re-home close to 160 furry friends since we opened.

I have been married to my husband Robb for going on 6 years now. He married into five, yes I said FIVE, daughters. What a great guy, but I'm not sure he knew what he was in for. Regardless, he has taken to parenting quite well. As I said earlier I have five beautiful daughters, whom are all awaiting a win for me so they can start on the pageant trail. Sammy (dare I call her Samantha in public) is going to be 15 this year and has been a tomboy her entire life. Jade is going to be 13 this year and besides the numerous make up, hair and fashion tips that she gives me on a daily basis without asking, is praying everyday that I can finally win a state title so she can give it a whirl. Cassy is 12 this year. Yes, they are very close in age. I figured that I would have them close so they had friends growing up. Boy, that didn't exactly turn out quite as well as I had hoped. Sometimes I feel as though I am crouched behind home plate with a face mask on, but everyone is still alive so I guess I'm doing something right! Madison is next on the list. She is going to be 10 this year and was the miracle baby. I was told I could no longer have any children from the chemotherapy and radiation treatments I had for my Leukemia. Boy, were they wrong! Not much more then a year later out popped Sydney, my youngest that will be 9 this year. They are the joy of my life. Robb and I are hoping to have one more...whew!

I was diagnosed with Acute Myeloid Leukemia (a type of blood cancer) when I was 22 years old. I was pregnant with Cassy at the time and opted to hold off on treatment until she was delivered. The doctors gave me 12 months to live without treatment, but making sure my daughter was safe in the womb was my top priority. I started treatment December 21, 1994 at 3:30 p.m., just five hours after the birth of what was supposed to be the last child I was to ever give life to. After months of treatment, blood tests, and exams they told me I no longer had to come back for my weekly trips. There were exactly 37 different ways to get to the hospital from my house in under 20 minutes and I was overjoyed that I did not have to make the trip as frequently anymore (even though most of the time I did not remember the ride home). I have now been in "remission" for almost 6 years now. And I am grateful and thankful that I am still here.

The first pageant I entered was in 1996. I entered it just to celebrate life. I had lost all of my hair going through the toughest battle of my life, but did not let it phase me too much. Most people thought I did it to copy Sinead O'Connor because I "didn't look sick". I tried the wigs and nothing felt right, so I competed with no hair. Needless to say they were not looking for a bald Ms. Wisconsin at that time. From that moment on I was bound and determined to win a title. To prove it was the inner YOU that mattered and not just the hair and glamour.

I do not believe that Mrs. Wisconsin should only have one platform, and she should want to help many different charities and organizations, but the Leukemia Society and Cancer Awareness are on the top of my list for obvious reasons. I already volunteer with a few organizations and if I do win the title of Mrs. Wisconsin, it brings that much more recognition to what we (as my entire family volunteers) already do. We volunteer for Habitat for Humanity, we are active with the Elmbrook Humane Society and WI Dog Rescue, and the kids and I also volunteer with the Children's Miracle Network & Children's Hospital Cancer Center.

Fishing has to be of the best things I have learned from my husband. The first gift I received from him (at least the first one I liked, ha ha) was a fishing pole. It is so peaceful and relaxing when you are fishing. No phones, no cars, no distractions. Granted, the first few times I did not particularly relish taking the fish off the hook or baiting my hook for that matter. I also have started archery. My husband does not trust me enough yet to shoot an apple off of his head, but we will get there. I can do anything once I put my mind into it. I love to try new things and meet new people. I can not say that I am even an ounce shy, which sometimes can get me in trouble, but I'm working on it. I think one of the best parts of pageantry is the amount of learning you do about yourself and your beliefs. We are never too old to learn!

I am happy to see more married women getting involved in pageants. We are wives, mothers, daughters, teachers, employers, and role models. We all have our own stories to share. We are ALL WINNERS already, if you ask me! I hope to find you all safe, healthy and happy as we meet June 8th to celebrate all the wonderful women of Wisconsin...oh and Iowa too...and of course Minnesota as well.

Good Luck to us ALL! And remember, relax and try to have fun or it is not even worth the trip!

Jennifer Schluga
Mrs. Waukesha County- WISCONSIN

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Luck From the Folks at Childrens Hospital! You deserve a win for all you do!

Anonymous said...

I saw you volunteering at Children's Hospital. Your family looks absolutely gorgeous. It fits with your outstanding personality. Your presence was positive and I am so glad to have met you and had a chance to do great works with you. I can't wait to see how your pageant turns out. We are all rooting for you here. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the support. I will see you on Wednesday for the Children's Miracle Network Telethon. Sammy is coming too! We will pop in the unit and say hello once we are done with our slots. Say hi to the kids for us! Who was this by the way?